Bariatric Surgery Corpus Christi, at the Better Weigh Center we believe strongly in two way communication between patient and surgeon. The relationship between a surgeon and patient is a lifelong relationship that includes procedure history and post surgery experiences from diet to weight loss.
Our commitment to our patients needs and benefits exists out of protecting that relationship with respect, confidentiality, and trust. We are in no hurry to leave the building, and hold our patients well being above all other priorities.
For patients with severe obesity (BMI >35), traditional diet and lifestyle changes may not be enough to result in substantial long term weight loss. In fact, once an individual goes above a BMI of 40, the likelihood they will be able to lose a significant amount of weight and then maintain that weight loss long term is very low. Individuals considering bariatric surgery aren’t “taking the easy way out”, they are simply looking at the most effective treatment for their disease.
The surgery is highly recommended for patients that cannot lose weight through traditional lifestyle changes and have developed serious health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and other conditions.
Criteria for Surgery:
In general, the criteria to be eligible for weight loss surgery are:
1) Body Mass Index (BMI) >40 or BMI ≥ 35 with significant medical problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea, etc.
2) No untreated medical condition that is causing the weight problem that can be fixed without surgery (I have never seen this happen!).
3) Previous attempts at weight loss without surgery were unsuccessful (failed diets).
4) Basic understanding of how the operation will lead to weight loss and a commitment to following up after the operation.
5) No active alcohol or drug abuse issues.
6) Medical problems are controlled enough that the risk of surgery is reasonable.
As with all “rules”, there are always exceptions. If you don’t meet all of the criteria above, you may still be eligible for weight loss surgery. Dr. Stegemann will be happy to discuss this with you at your initial appointment.
If you are not a candidate for surgery or are not interested in surgery, we also offer a comprehensive medical weight loss program to help you achieve your goals.
Creating Long Term Success
It is often said that “surgery is just a tool”. This is definitely true. After surgery patients need to have close follow up to prevent complications and to learn the skills that will help them achieve long term success. It is in this follow up period that the Better Weigh Center really sets itself apart from other programs. Our team works with you closely after surgery to help you integrate our Prescription for Success After Weight Loss Surgery© principles that will give you all of the knowledge to maintain your weight loss for a lifetime!