At the Better Weigh Center, we understand that finances play a role in every major decision. We are committed to making your journey back to a healthier weight as affordable as possible. When it comes to costs, we make the following pledges to you:
1) To be upfront with what your expected costs will be so you can plan accordingly.
2) To remain In-Network with every major insurance carrier whenever possible.
3) To remain one of the most affordable programs in the state of Texas.
4) To work only with financing companies who offer fair rates and treat our patients with respect.
Many patients wonder if bariatric surgery is a covered benefit in their health insurance policy. In general, Texas has very good coverage for weight loss surgery when compared to most states. Whether your health insurance policy covers weight loss surgery, however, is really up to your employer. We have found that many employers in Corpus Christi provide coverage for weight loss surgery in their health plan.
At the Better Weigh Center, we have a team dedicated to not only determining your coverage, but whom also works with your insurance company to ensure that if you have coverage, your policy benefits are made available to you. That means that we will work on your behalf to meet the specific requirements your insurance provider requires so they will pay for your surgery. It has been our experience that if a patient has coverage for weight loss surgery, we will get them approved.
Most insurance companies have created a number of “hoops” that a patient must jump through prior to being approved for surgery. These can include:
- 5 Year Weight History (documented weights from physician visits)
- Record of Previous Diet Attempts
- 3 or 6 month consecutive diet visits
- No smoking for 6 weeks prior to surgery
While these items are not required by every insurance company, if you have this information available at the time of your initial visit, it can speed up processing times and allow our team to begin working on your approval right away.
Even if your insurance does not cover weight loss surgery, at the Better Weigh Center we can help you get surgery through a number of options. Your Insurance Advocate will discuss these options with you if it is determined your health insurance does not cover weight loss surgery. Our advice is to always use insurance to pay for your surgery if at all possible, even if that means delaying your surgery date.